Aplicaciones de Modelos de Simulación y Optimización en Ingeniería de Procesos y Sistemas - II
Date/time: Wednesday, November 17, 12:30
Place: ETSEIB - building G-2 (room "audiovisuales"), Diagonal 647, Barcelona
This seminar addresses the solution of real-world control and optimization problems through advanced discrete event dynamic simulation models. Dynamic simulation concepts and principal tools available in the simulation environment arena are used to achieve the best representation of complex and highly-constrained process systems, where the understanding and evaluation of events which happen in fractions of second may be critical not only to ensure process profitability, but also to ensure safety. The major goal is to provide efficient and user-friendly computer-aided tools to systematically improve the dynamic operation of such critical processes by quickly generating efficient control policies.About the Speaker:
- Ph.D. in Engineering Cybernetics from Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), 1990. (M.Sc. in Engineering Cybernetics from NTNU, 1983).
- Head of Department of Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Cybernetics at Telemark University College, Aug. 1 2006 – present.
- Main supervisor in more than 100 M.Sc. theses, main supervisor for 6 graduated PhD candidates, and is currently main supervisor for 5 PhD candidates. Served in 15 PhD committees.
- Currently leading a project on optimization and control of hydro power production.
Publications (last 5 years): One book chapter, 10 journal papers, 34 conference papers – e.g.:
- Hauge, T.A., Slora, R., and Lie, B. (2005). "Application and roll‐out of infinite horizon MPC employing a nonlinear mechanistic model to paper machines". Journal of Process Control, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 201—213.
- Furenes, B., and Lie, B. (2006). "Using Event Location in Finite‐Difference Methods for Phase‐Change Problems". Numerical Heat Transfer Part B: Fundamentals, Vol. 50, No. 2. (August 2006), pp. 143—155.
- Dueñas Díez, M., Fjeld, M., Andersen, E., and Lie, B. (2006). "Validation of a compartmental population balance model of an industrial leaching process: the Silgrain® process". Chemical Engineering Science, Volume 61, no. 1, pp. 229—245.
- Lie, B., and Heath, W. (2008). "Model based control". Chapter 5 in E. Dahlquist (editor) Use of Modeling and Simulation in Pulp and Paper Industry, © COST Office, 2008. ISBN 978‐91‐977493‐0‐5. Free download from http://works.bepress.com/dr_erik_dahlquist.
- Dueñas Díez, M., Ydstie, B. E., Fjeld, M., and Lie, B. (2008). "Inventory control of particulate processes". Computers & Chemical Engineering, Vol. 32, pp. 46—67. Invited paper for recipient Dueñas Díez of EFCE Excellence Award in Recognition of Outstanding PhD thesis on CAPE 2006.
- Lie, B. (2009). "Model Uncertainty and Control Consequences: a Paper Machine Study". Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems, Vol. 15, 5, pp. 463—477.